Monday, December 12, 2011

Magic Realism Post

After leaving Noah’s I couldn’t stop shaking. Out of all the arguments I’d had in my lifetime, nothing matched this one, and no matter how many times I closed my eyes to keep myself from crying I could still see him standing against the powder blue car door, his face stricken with hurt and fear. Fear of losing me all over again. I wanted nothing more than to stay with him, but I had given my word and heart to my fiancé Lon, a man in which I owed more than an explanation to. By this time I was driving, my hands gripping the steering wheel, my knuckles white. I closed my eyes again, this time trying to block out the yelling that had occurred between us. I swerved to the side of the road, the sound of a car honking fading as I sat there, my head pressed against the wheel, tears staining my cheeks. I looked at the pile of letters sitting on the passenger seat. There were 365 of them, one for every day of the year. Reaching over, I ripped one out from under the string that held them together. The envelope was crinkled, its sealed flap peeled back at the corner as if someone had gone to open the letter, but decided against it. Pushing my finger under the white seal I opened the envelope, pulling out the folded paper. Although it had been years, Noah’s handwriting was still eligible, each letter curving as they formed words that filled each line of the page. As I read the first line, I felt as though I was being sucked into the letter, rather than merely reading the words written on the paper. Suddenly I was standing behind Noah. It was nighttime, the crickets chirp the only sound proving that there was still life outside. He was sitting at a wooden desk, his right hand firmly gripping a fountain pen. He was younger than he is now, although his face showed the same weariness he wore now. His eyes were puffy, his shoulders slouched and he furrowed his brow the same way he always did when he was concentrating. Finally he let out a large sigh, one that filled the entire room, giving me goosebumps. Shaking his head, he said nothing besides one word. “Allie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment